Saturday, June 4, 2011

I'm not sure exactly what to say...

So it's been a few days since I've posted. Don't worry, I'v been doing things; I haven't been sitting in my dorm like a total loser. The days are already starting to run together. This may have something to do with the fact that I've been to both the Eifel Tower and the Louvre 3 times. I promise you, no one needs to go to the Eiffel Tower three nights in a row--It is always gorgeous and it always sparkles for five minutes on the hour, and yes it is wonderful to see it from multiple angles, but in the end it is just a semi-tall mass of metal surrounded by Senegalese trying to sell you light-up miniatures and cheap bottes of wine for 15 euros and an unnecessary amount of tourists. The Louvre on the other hand is undoubtedly worth multiple trips. I still haven't seen the entire museum; I'm just taking a break because I am exhausted from walking miles in that building.

Last night, I must have walked all over Paris. I mean, I obviously rode the subway at various points, but I did go from far west Paris to very far east Paris. I'm talking the 12th arrondissement that makes you question if you are in Paris at all. Gone are the quaint little cafes and centuries old architecture. No longer are you swarmed by tourists and absurd prices. It is a much more urban area of Paris, perhaps a bit more dangerous area, though I felt relatively safe (really, anywhere is safe compared to New Haven.) Anyways, we found this fantastic bridge that had multiple levels. Like, you could be at the top of the bridge and then the bridge would sort of split into three strips, with the left and right strip dipping down and the middle strip rising up, so the entire bridge looked like a wave. I'll post a picture if I can, so you can understand what I mean.
 We just chilled on the bridge for a while--because you can do that in France without seeming like a total creeper!--and watched some guy practice parkour. He was climbing all over the thing, hanging from the edges, dangling over the river, jumping from railing to railing. I thought it was pretty cool; my friends thought he was going to kill himself. I've jumped from further up into a body of water, so I was fairly certain he would be fine, though my stomach would have dropped for a second had he fallen.

We also met up with one of my friend's friend, Frank, who was taking a gap year and traveling the world. It's pretty amazing. He's on his sixth month I believe, and he just left Asia after spending ages there. He hiked part of Mount Everest, bungee jumped, hang glided, visited Thailand, Cambodia, Nepal, all these awesome places, and has met so many cool people. I wonder if I have the balls to do that one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment